Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Jump to main content
Turn on/off screen reader friendly version
Practical information from public offices
Print page

Right of residence pursuant to the EEA Regulations

If you are an EEA national and have a valid identity card or passport, you have right of residence for three months in Norway. The same applies to members of your family who are also EEA nationals. Family members who are not EEA nationals must have a valid passport and be able to document that they are members of your household or that they are supported by you.

If you are an EEA national who wishes to work in Norway for more than three months, you must have a job (basis for residence).

Nationals of EU/EEA/EFTA countries don’t need to apply for a residence permit but must register online on the internet. Once you have registered online, you must go to your nearest police station. If you live in a districte with a Service Senter for Foreign Workers you need to meet in person here.You must take along a valid identity card or a passport and proof of employment that is in accordance with the provisions of the Working Environment Act.

Once you have registered, you will be issued a registration certificate. This certificate is issued free of charge and is valid indefinitely (i.e. you do not need to renew it).

The registration certificate is only valid as long as the conditions are met, i.e. as long as you meet the conditions for one of the grounds for residence, for example as an employee or student. You can change your grounds for residence, for example from being an employee to becoming self-employed. You do not have to report this.

After 5 years you can apply for permanent right of residence in Norway.

Lapse of right of residence

If you stay outside Norway for more than six months during a calendar year, the grounds for residence will lapse. Changes of address must be reported to the Population Register. An EEA national will have to register again in the event of a new stay in Norway.
Right of residence will nonetheless be retained if the absence is for valid reasons. In the case of pregnancy, birth, serious illness, education or vocational training and secondment to another country, a continuous period of absence of maximum 12 months is accepted. The serving of military or civil national service is not deemed to interrupt the period of residence.


If you are an EEA national, you have extended protection against expulsion. You can nonetheless be expelled if the authorities deem you to be a potential and serious threat to public order and safety. If you are an EEA national, you will only be expelled from Norway and you will not be registered in the Schengen Information System (SIS).


Tip a friend

Tip a friend about this page by email