Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Jump to main content
Turn on/off screen reader friendly version
Practical information from public offices
Print page

Family immigration permit pursuant to the general regulations

If you have close family members who live abroad, they can apply to come and live with you during your stay in Norway. This is called family immigration. As a rule, you cannot apply on behalf of your family members.

Which family members can be granted family immigration?

Some members of your family are entitled to a family immigration permit if all the conditions for a permit are met. Other family members can also be granted family immigration if certain conditions are met. The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) will also consider whether there are strong humanitarian grounds for granting the application for family immigration.

Those family members entitled to residence permits when all conditions for a permit are met are:

  • A spouse or registered partner over the age of 18, when the couple plans to live together in Norway.
  • Cohabitants over the age of 18, when the couple has lived together for at least two years and intends to continue their cohabitation.
  • A cohabitant over the age of 18 who has children with the person in Norway, and the couple intend to continue their cohabitation.
  • Children when both parents have been or will be granted residence permits in Norway.
  • Children who only have one parent resident in Norway. It is a requirement that the parent living in Norway has sole parental responsibility or, if parental responsibility is shared, that the other parent gives his or her consent. 
  • In addition, parents may visit their children (regardless of the children’s age) in Norway for up to nine months, either together or separately. It is a requirement that the parents return to their home country after the permit has expired. The permit does not entitle the holder to work in Norway. Parents can travel into and out of Norway for as long as the permit is valid. The permit cannot be renewed, but parents can be granted a new nine-month permit when they have stayed outside Norway for at least one year.
    Subsistence and housing requirements

    In order for your family to be granted family immigration permits, it is a requirement that the person living in Norway can guarantee subsistence for the family members applying for family immigration. In the case of some types of family members, it is also a requirement that the family living in Norway can guarantee accommodation.

    Other conditions and application procedures

    Further conditions will often apply that must be met before a permit can be granted. 
    Renewal of residence permits

    You should apply for renewal at least one month before your permit expires. You will then retain the same rights as before relating to work, studies etc. while you are waiting for us to process your application, even if your permit expires before you receive our answer.

    If you fail to apply for renewal within the deadline, you will not automatically be entitled to stay in Norway. If you apply for renewal after your permit has expired, a situation can arise where you do not have legal residence while we process your application. Applying too late may also mean that your residence will not be regarded as continuous, which means that you may have to wait longer before you can be granted a permanent residence permit.
    Submit your renewal application to the police where you live. The police renew most types of permits. If the police are in doubt as to whether your application can be granted, they will forward it to the UDI for processing.

    Rights and duties associated with family immigration

    Among other things, family immigration permits for adults confer a right to work in Norway, to leave and enter Norway freely, the possibility of renewal and the possibility of being granted a permit on independent grounds. The permit also forms the basis for permanent residence in Norway.
    Contact the Directorate of Immigration (UDI) about any changes in your circumstances that are relevant to your residence permit. The UDI can also assist you with questions concerning the rights and duties associated with your permit, or the possibility of permanent residence or Norwegian citizenship.
    The tax authorities, the health authorities, the Directorate of Integration and Diversity (IMDi) and the municipality in which you live have an overview of your rights and duties regarding tax matters, health, language tuition, and of schools and kindergartens where you live.

    Tip a friend

    Tip a friend about this page by email

    More information