Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Jump to main content
Turn on/off screen reader friendly version
Practical information from public offices
Print page

Differences between EEA nationals and nationals of other countries

Different conditions and application procedures for resident permits and family immigration apply to EU/EEA/EFT A nationals, so-called EEA nationals, and nationals of other countries, so-called third-country nationals.

All permits that entitle the holder to stay and work in Norway are called residence permits. Depending on what country you are from, you can be granted a residence permit/right of residence pursuant to one of the following two regulations: the general regulations or the EEA Regulations.

The general regulations

Apply to all foreign nationals.

The EEA Regulations

Only apply to nationals of EU/EEA/EFTA states.

Note that right of residence pursuant to the EEA Regulations does not form the basis for a permanent residence permit. Some permits granted pursuant to the general regulations form the basis for a permanent residence permit.

Tip a friend

Tip a friend about this page by email