Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Jump to main content
Turn on/off screen reader friendly version
Practical information from public offices

New in Norway

Information service for foreign workers – rights, duties, practical advice, tips and information about Norwegian society.

Print page

Relevant information

Procedures for ID checks of foreign nationals

Foreign workers who come to Norway must go in person to a tax office to obtain a tax deduction card. You must bring valid identification with you and a contract or written offer of employment.

If they plan to stay here for more than six months, they must also notify the authorities of the move.

Everyone who wishes to notify a move to Norway and everyone who wishes to obtain a tax deduction card must go in person to one of the following tax offices:

Tax Norway East:
Oslo, Sandvika, Lillestrøm, Gjøvik, Grålum, Hamar, Tynset og Leira

Tax Norway South:
Drammen, Kristiansand, Skien, Tønsberg, Lyngdal and Grimstad

Tax Norway West:
Førde, Leikanger, Bergen, Haugesund, Egersund, Stavanger, Nordfjordeid and Norheimsund

Tax Norway Central Norway:
Trondheim, Ålesund, Kristiansund, Namsos, Steinkjer, Molde and Ulstein

Tax Norway North:
Kirkenes, Hammerfest, Alta, Tromsø, Harstad, Bodø, Mo i Rana, Leknes, Vadsø, Sortland Narvik, Sandnessjøen and Svalbard

Service Centre for Foreign Workers:
Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, Kirkenes

Valid identification

  • Nordic citizens:
    Passport or national ID card containing a photograph of you and indicating your citizenship and gender, or a valid driving licence together with an extract from the National Population Register of your home country. The extract must not be more than three months old.
  • EEA citizens:
    Passport or national ID card containing a photograph of you and indicating your citizenship and gender.
  • Citizens outside the EEA:

Source: The Norwegian Tax Administration

  • Moving to Norway »

    Registration in the population register

    Registration in connection with moving Everyone who moves to Norway from another country, between two Norwegian municipalities, or to another place in the same municipality, is obliged to notify t...

  • Work »

    Employment contract

    Everyone is entitled to a written employment contract, irrespective of the length of employment or the percentage of a full-time position. The employment contract describes employees and employers’...

  • Children & Schools »

    Primary and lower secondary schools

    All children in Norway must attend school for ten years. The first ten years of the Norwegian school system is called ‘grunnskole’, which comprises primary and lower secondary education. Children s...

  • Health »

    Primary doctor

    Everyone who is resident in a Norwegian municipality is entitled to be registered as a patient with a primary doctor (GP). This means everyone who is registered in the Population Register as reside...

  • Recreational activities »

    Voluntary groups and organisations

    There are over 115,000 organisations in Norway. More than 84 per cent of the population is a member of one or more organisations. There are many different types of organisations in Norway, ranging ...

  • Transport and services »


    In Norway, anyone can open a deposit account and use the bank’s payment system. Wage earners must usually open a salary account/current account into which their salary is paid. To open such an acco...

  • Useful information »


    Official name: The Kingdom of Norway Capital: Oslo Population: 5 302 778 (January 1st 2018) Area (sq. km): 385 199 National day: May 17th (Constitution day) Currency: Norwe...

New in Norway 2019 - PDF file

New in Norway 2019

New in Norway gathers practical information from public agencies. Note! It can take a few minutes to download the file.