Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Jump to main content
Turn on/off screen reader friendly version
Practical information from public agencies
Print page

A residence permit to enter into marriage

If you wish to marry someone who lives in Norway, you can apply for a residence permit to come here and enter into marriage (fiancé permit). The permit is valid for six months, and you must get married during the period for which the permit is valid. Once you have married, you must apply for family immigration with your spouse to be able to continue to stay in Norway.

You can travel into and out of Norway for as long as the fiancé permit is valid, and you can also work here. You are not entitled to free tuition in the Norwegian language while you are in Norway on a fiancé permit.

You cannot apply to bring children with you at the same time. A fiancé permit does not constitute grounds for family immigration with you as long as you are in Norway on such a permit.

Most people cannot travel to Norway before they have been granted a family immigration permit and therefore cannot apply from Norway. Some groups can come to Norway and apply from here, however.

If you are among those who can apply from Norway, you must submit the application to the police where you live. In large towns and cities, there is often a special office you go to.

Tip a friend

Tip a friend about this page by email

More information